Thursday, February 23, 2012

What they don't tell you about college

I've got to say, I'm pretty sure some of my elders just lied straight to my face about college. My councilor said no school would accept me with one lonely D on a transcript of A's and B's (well I'm here now so there's lie No. 1). All my teachers said it would be a hundred times harder (which it isn't). Someone somewhere said standards were a lot higher, impossible even (I have yet to encounter this). Everyone said I would be writing a million essays, be reading 200 pages a week, be stressing about everything all the time, and never have any free time. All lies. I don't know why anyone bothers lying about college life; it means we just get to go "huh, guess they were wrong."

What they don't tell you about college is that it's easy. My hardest class has been the math related one (because I am absolute rubbish at math) and it was something I only had to do once, as a requirement. Everything else has been easy. I've had no trouble keeping up on essays, although I am a master procrastinator.

What they don't tell you about college is that procrastination doesn't kill you. I have not procrastinated on exactly three papers. Some papers and projects I have put off even required research; professors claim it isn't something you can do in a day, but it most certainly is, even if you aren't very diligent about it. I would not recommend this to anyone other than a master procrastinator. I personally can whip out a draft of an essay in 15 minutes if I really put my mind to it, so if you do not possess the same prowess I suggest you take a more scheduled route.

What they don't tell you about college is the suckage of dorm life. Sharing a room was not a problem for me (I have a younger sister) but sharing a wall, and a hallway, and a bathroom was. The boys to either side of my room were loud and disrespectful of my polite pleas to shut off their music if I was napping; they would play Halo and other shooting games at full volume, screaming "TAKE THAT BE-YACH!" so loud I could hear it through headphones; and on several occasions the wall would shake with an ominous rhythm that left no imagination as to what was going on in the bed next door. The hallway was never quiet when it should have been; people seemed not to understand that when a garbage is full, you take your garbage somewhere else; football players would shout to each other from opposite ends at the most inconvenient times (headphones, it seems, are useless against young males with no self-restraint).  Girls would blare music when all I wanted to do was soak in the hot water after a long day hunched at my desk; hair would clog the drains and people would ignore this fact and keep using the shower anyways; cosmetics and hair straighteners would clutter the shelf above the sinks and leave no room for anyone else's toiletries.

What they don't tell you about college is that it is a mixed bags. It is neither one way nor the other, and you just have to bumble your way through it hoping to get something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment